Our 9th Flip – “Before”

You might recall that we bought, renovated and sold our 9th flip during the insane summer of 2014 – I kind of thought that this house would never get blogged about.  Once the 10th flip got going there never seemed to be a great time to fill you in on this little gem.

But that all ends today!  Without further ado, here’s the “before” tour of our 9th flip!

Without a doubt, this house started out with the cutest driveup appeal of any house we’ve done.  I love those Tudor influences.

Our 9th Flip - Before

The house is over 2,500 square feet with 4 bedrooms, 3 1/2 baths, and a great layout.  You enter the home through this large entryway, with a staircase leading upstairs on one side, the living room straight ahead, and the dining room on the other side.

Our 9th Flip - Before

Here’s the view from the dining room into the entryway.

Our 9th Flip - Before

Looking towards the front of the house…

Our 9th Flip - Before

…and into the kitchen from the dining room.

Our 9th Flip - Before

Look at this kitchen!  It’s huge, and already has a great layout.  And, although dated, it still looks pretty darn good.

Our 9th Flip - Before

There’s a giant breakfast area just behind the breakfast bar (there’s lots of breakfast going on here).

Our 9th Flip - Before

Just off the breakfast area is a little vestibule (so fancy) with a closet for brooms, etc. and then a little powder room.

Our 9th Flip - Before

I normally dislike having a bathroom close to a kitchen, but somehow the vestibule gives the bathroom some separation while still letting the bathroom be convenient to the rest of the house.  Or maybe I’m overthinking this.  ;)

Our 9th Flip - Before

Through the vestibule is the laundry room, and then the two-car attached garage.

Our 9th Flip - Before

Let’s head back to the breakfast room and check out the rest of the house.  You can access the sunken living room through either the entryway or the breakfast room (shown below):

Our 9th Flip - Before

Unfortunately I didn’t get pictures until after demolition started, hence the half-rolled up carpet.  This room is pretty dark, but I attribute that mainly to the wood paneling and the covered windows.

Our 9th Flip - Before

I really like the wall of bookshelves.  And I typically don’t go for sunken rooms, but somehow this works for me – maybe because it’s just a single step down to a single room?  Deep thoughts.

Our 9th Flip - Before

Here’s the view back to the breakfast room.

Our 9th Flip - Before

The backyard is  accessed through that open door in the photo above.  The yard is pretty large for this neighborhood, and has a great shade tree.

Our 9th Flip - Before

Back inside.  I somehow missed getting a picture of it, but there’s a little vestibule (this word is growing on me) just off the living room (opposite the breakfast room) that leads to the master bedroom and a guest bedroom.  I like that the bedrooms aren’t accessed directly off the living room – again, vestibules are fabulous for giving a “feeling” of privacy!

Where was I?

Oh yes.  The master bedroom.

It’s a big space that overlooks the backyard, and has a large, attached bathroom.

Our 9th Flip - Before

Hey hey, there’s the bathroom through those double doors.

Our 9th Flip - Before

See what I mean?  The vanity alone is huge!

Our 9th Flip - Before

There’s a second closet at one end of the bathroom…

Our 9th Flip - Before

…and at the other end there’s a door that leads to the toilet…

Our 9th Flip - Before

…and a 70s version of the current “tub in the shower” trend.

Our 9th Flip - Before

If you head back to the vestibule (admit it, it’s growing on you, too), there’s a big guest suite with the biggest closet I’ve ever seen.  This house has INSANE storage.

Our 9th Flip - Before

Here’s the little guest bath.

Back to the entryway.

Our 9th Flip - Before

Are you dying to head up these green stairs?

Our 9th Flip - Before

Ask and you shall receive.

It’s a hallway.  ;)

Our 9th Flip - Before

There’s a big bedroom at one end of the hallway…

Our 9th Flip - Before

…with a psychedelic jack ‘n jill bathroom…

Our 9th Flip - Before

…and a matching bedroom on the other side.

Our 9th Flip - Before

Head back downstairs and our tour is complete!

Our 9th Flip - Before

What do you guys think?  Did you think I was going to leave you in the dark about the 9th flip for all of eternity?

Comments

1. Susan says:

Wow, what a wonderful house, I can totally see all of the potential. I cannot believe that someone in the 70’s was designing wet room areas in the master bathroom, what a trend setter! Are you going to leave the shower bath setup that way?
    Susan´s last blog post post ..It is amazing what sheetrock can do! (Bath & Closet, part 5)

We hemmed and hawed, but ultimately decided to change it up! (A bit.) Stay tuned for how it turned out! :)

2. What great “bones”. Can’t wait to see what you did with this house. I’m sure it turned out great!
    Jen @ Restore + Style´s last blog post post ..Demo Day!

3. kristin says:

Oh my gosh!! I think this is the most interesting I have seen! Which means the results will be all the better. :) Entering the door made me shudder. It reminded me of an old castle with the dark entry and stairs. Yet the 70’s version. By the 9th flip you have a sense for all the good. I seriously can’t wait for your results!!! Quick please??? We started on our outdoor (partial yard) redo and outdoor house improvements. Getting rid of the walk out door and sidewalk that slinks around the edge of the house—ahhh! I am posting it on IG. I was looking for some of my favorites to follow and I didn’t find you. Are you on IG??

Ooh, sounds like you have a lot on your plate! Just found you on IG! :) MY IG name is itsgreattobehome.

• kristin says:

Yay! Thank you! I have you now on IG. I am not that great with technology. I should have easily found you. My house escapades are on @maxandbarlow if you want to peek time to time. The other is my etsy shop (and a few treats). I have many exciting pics of the demo but yet to download. Demo is exciting, yes?? :) I need my daughters help to find an app for collages that doesn’t have a watermark. I know–I am so sad. We hired a great landscaping company here so I have it pretty easy. However, I am the “cookie lady”, so I am busy making the guys treats while they are here working. : )

4. Jordan says:

Gotta say, it’s a great structure you’ve got going there! Very spacious! Just needs a little updating to really bring in that park. I’ll be you’ve done an awesome job on it too – can’t wait to see all the “afters”!q

5. Daria says:

I gotta say, that Jack n’Jill bathroom is kind of amazing.
    Daria´s last blog post post ..Hello world!

6. Elani Jae says:

What great bones this house has! I’m so excited to see what you have done with it. Are the front diamond pattern windows single pane leaded? They look amazing! Can hardly wait to see the ‘after’ – share soon! :)

7. Linda Z says:

I’m so glad you have gone back to the 9th flip!! Wow, I love so much about this house and I can’t wait to see how you interpreted the updates. I’m hoping the leaded glass in the front is still intact… I have such a weakness for that particular pattern. Ooooo… I just can’t wait to see the “afters.” And by the way, I loved reading your commentary! You are so cute and funny! :)

8. Paul says:

This is the first time I’ve been to your blog and wow, this is inspiring. I really like what you’ve done. And if you can pull off such an amazing flip like this, I guess I am all out of excuses for not redoing the title in my bathroom hahaha. But seriously, nice work.

9. Erin says:

Can’t wait to see how it turned out! the house has great bones! just needs some modern love.

10. Jenny says:

It was like Christmas morning for me when I saw you had posted from #9. I am so excited to see your “after” photos. The mirror in upstairs bathroom is incredible. May not be in good shape but I am sure you will put it to good use :-) Thank you for sharing. I love it!

11. Al says:

This is a great layout, y’all always pick the classic American houses to remodel lol, can’t wait to see the renovation!!

12. Love reading through your blog! How did you get the courage to jump into the first one and what was the deciding factor for you to just ‘pull the trigger’ and do it?

So many people talk about how easy it would be to do, but not as many with the courage to step out and do it.