Get the Look – Preppy Modern

“Modern” as a style has so many different interpretations – from “cold” modern to “rustic” modern to “futuristic” modern . . . you get the idea.

I’ve been a fan of rustic modern for awhile now (our 10th flip is my interpretation of that style), but I’ve recently become smitten with what I’ve dubbed “preppy modern.”

Textile-maven Caitlin Wilson and the Studio McGee design firm are the current masters of this style – think streamlined cabinets, geometric tile in classic colors, brass and matte black fixtures, fabulous patterns in buffalo check and herringbone, unadorned hardware, warm leather – and, of course, the traditional prepster tones of grays, blues and whites.

Caitlin’s Instagram is an absolute treasure-trove of inspiration, featuring both her beautiful textile creations and killer design style:

Caitlin Wilson Preppy Modern (please pin from original source here)

Studio McGee’s Instagram feed shows their slightly more masculine take on preppy modern that is just as captivating:

Studio McGee Preppy Modern (please pin from original source here) Want to try out the preppy modern style in your home?  Here are some ways to get the look:

Get the Look - Preppy Modern collage

Sources: Row 1: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6; Row 2: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6; Row 3: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6; Row 4: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6; Row 5: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6; Row 6: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6; Row 7: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6; Row 8: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6; Row 9: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

We’ve got a huge project in the works and I’m eager to try this preppy modern style for all the finishes.  What do you think about this look?

And while you’re checking out Caitlin Wilson and Studio McGee on Instagram, be sure to hop on over to my new feed – you can find me here (itsgreattobehome), where things are still a work in progress.  My former feed is now a private account (I started feeling like a mama bear about the photos of my kiddos!), and this new feed will be all things renovation/design/home building.  I’ll be updating it soon, I promise!

Comments

1. kristin says:

I noted the new feed and was a bit confused. That explains it. :) I really like the preppy modern look. No wonder I really like the work of Studio McGee–that’s what their style is!–thank you! It has a clean, “everything that’s in” look and is comfortable looking, no too overdone. I have described my style as farmhouse/cottage/traditional and LOVED buffalo check 10 years ago before it was cool. I like to think I was ahead of the game on that one. ;) (Obsessed with gingham as well.) I can’t wait to see what you do in the new house with the preppy modern!

2. LA says:

So glad to see you back blogging, missed reading your posts! really want to read about the project you are working on now.

3. Janet says:

Oh wow!! This is totally my style, but I never knew the term for it! I would love my future house to be like this. :D

4. Meredith says:

These ideas are so fun! We’re currently updating several rooms in our home, and would love some “preppy modern” decor — I’m particularly in love with the plaid pillows! Thanks for the inspiration!
    Meredith´s last blog post post ..How to Prepare Yourself for Home Repairs

5. Kelly P says:

So glad you’re back – I’ve missed your posts :-) Can’t wait to hear more about the big project!

6. Zoe says:

Love that tan leather couch as well as the look of he mudroom.

7. karin says:

Hi Liz—I admire your energy in getting all these flips and remodels done! Love your taste and vision. You are lucky to live somewhere you can get all that labor done and still make money on a flip (or maybe I don’t know the right people here in California).

Anyway, I thought you might want to know that you may have been hacked. I have a touch screen, and touched the light fixture in the last row, first image. It took me to a Russian dating site! Bridge of Love or something like that.

karin

Ugh, thanks so much for letting me know! From my research it appears that it isn’t a hack, but some weird redirect – I’ll see what I can do! Sorry for subjecting you to a Russian dating site! :/

8. Frank says:

Interesting. This looks super cool. I haven’t read it all yet, but I’ll be back to read the rest of it.
    Frank´s last blog post post ..What to do before replacing your roof https://t.co/WOjah8gUz5 https://t.co/XskTHNByIE

9. Interesting post! As a big fan of all things PREP, I am also a big fan of preppy interiors! One beautiful preppy interior that instantly comes to mind is the Lilly Pulitzer store on Madison Avenue at 79th Street…it is gorgeous!

10. Victor says:

All these people commenting on your posts if just a proof that you are excellent at writing. Keep up what you are doing. :)