Hey guys, hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving!! Ours was pretty great, lots of relaxing and food, and fun times with our families. My 3 year old became entirely smitten with her new 3 week old cousin (singing to her, feeding her, holding her every.single.second) and it was pretty much the cutest thing I’ve ever seen.
But let’s get down to business.
You guys know that we put hardwoods in every single flip that we do – buyers love hardwoods, and for good reason! They’re gorgeous, go with every style of decor, and can look fabulous for a lifetime.
I was super excited the last time I went to Floor & Decor when I wandered over to their wood flooring department and saw unfinished hardwoods for sale. Oh, the possibilities!
We almost always use unfinished, red oak hardwoods in our flips:
- because the wood is unfinished, it can be stained to any color under the sun (we love Minwax Dark Walnut)
- the wood is sanded and stained after it’s already installed in your home, so the boards are absolutely seamless
- since each board is made of solid wood, the floors can be sanded several times over their lifetime – you can change your mind about the color, or pull out planks that have been damaged and replace them, or even sometimes salvage the wood floors after a minor leak (I wish we’d been so lucky!)
- the boards are nailed into place, so there is never that “hollow” sound you experience with some flooring
- solid hardwoods have a well-earned reputation of quality and permanence
Did you catch that price? I poked through our past invoices from our hardwood flooring installer and the best price we’ve paid for #1 red oak is $3.60/sqft – and these babies here are just $2.94/sqft for select red oak, which is a notch above #1 and close to the very best available.
(Note – I wasn’t able to find this flooring online, so if you’re interested you might have to scope out availability at your nearest store.)
I’m very intrigued, to say the least! Here are a few options offered by Floor & Decor that can get you pretty darn close to the same look as these designer rooms:
1. Emily Henderson, Natural Maple Solid Hardwood; 2. Style at Home, Dark Mocha Oak Solid Hardwood; 3. With Heart, Rustic Natural Oak Solid Hardwood; 4. CoCoCozy, African Mahogany Solid Hardwood; 5. Amber Interiors, Modena Oak Hand Scraped Engineered Hardwood
What type of flooring do you guys have in your home?
This post brought to you in collaboration with Floor & Decor.